1/3/13

Headboard


This all starts with Kiki Smith.  She's an artist, and she is amazing.  The woman makes art like this:




She also created a perfume that smells like "cat pee and plant sex".  She went on to describe it as a faint cat-pee odor that reminds the artist of her grandmother’s garden.  This woman fascinates me, and I'll dedicate an entire entry to her someday.  This entry is about my headboard, that was inspired by Kiki Smith's trademark star design.  I especially love this artwork, and decided to loosely base my headboard design on it.




I dyed the fabric and embroidered the stars on using the most GIGANTIC embroidery hoop I have ever seen.  


Then I stapled it and some batting to a piece of wood.


The headboard is by no means perfect. It is not exactly what I was going for, but I really do love how it turned out.  I love the inconsistencies in the color.  Most of all, I am just glad I did it.  I am glad I took an idea and turned it into a tangible thing.



3 comments:

Andrea Stevenson said...

I love this! The embroidered stars look amazing! Now I really want to make some throw pillows so I can stitch some similar stars onto something

Jane said...

COOLEST headboard. like whoa! "cat pee and plant sex" hahaha

Rachel said...

The headboard is amazing!