7/29/13

Looks like I stopped blogging for a little bit.  I had a few career prospects that I was extremely excited about- and then they fell through.  I think I felt a little like a failure, because I was so vocal about quitting my teaching job and it turns out I will still be teaching this year.  Talk about major disappointment.  I'm amazed though at how good (really good) things come when I'm faced disappointment.

I got the coolest opportunity to teach in Europe this summer.  My coworkers were wonderful and taught me so much in the 15 days I spent with them.  Just being in places like Vienna and Prague inspired me to consider new and different options for my future career.  Options that may take a little longer than previous dreams.  I just need to work hard and be patient.  I need to be grateful for a job this year, and I need to use this time to prepare myself for the adventures that are ahead.  Mostly, I need to believe in my ability to create and I need to start creating.  I will work this year on bringing ideas to fruition- so often I quit a project because it's not going the way I imagined.  I think there is potential in that space to rework and push myself.


Recent projects:

Blake and I designed this bookshelf.  Blake and my dad put together the metal frame (using old bed frames).  I really wanted to help with the brazing, but they completed that while I was in Europe. I sanded/finished the wood pieces so I'm claiming creation credit too ;)


Carving some block prints for fabric stamping.  I like the positive and negative space deign, but should have cleaned up the areas around the carving. The extra marks just ended up looking a little messy.  It was a fun exercise and I will probably make a throw pillow out of the fabric.
    


 Photos of the bunkie babies, for good measure:






5 comments:

Topsy and Havoc said...

If you're a failure than we all are. You teaching another year(s) is totally meant to be. At least with the disappointments in my own life, I feel like I have to feel that way, or else I'd just be so frustrated.

I'm inspired by your creations. And that book shelf is money.

Lari said...

You are at the opposite end of failure! My goodness sake little missy. How I wish I could travel to foreign lands and create any artistic thing that comes to my brain WHICH YOU DO!!!!! You are an inspiration to me in almost every way.;

Rachel said...

I'm so happy you went to Europe! Your present adventures are pretty grand! I'm excited to see your future adventures as well! And I'm glad you do have a teaching job. At least for me, teaching is very fulfilling! I don't have a job! I really need one! I miss Spain.

Rachel said...

Did my comment go through?

s.s. bazodi said...

Topsy & Rachel- you both inspire me! Thank you for kinds words.