Tonight I went to the MJHS choir concert. Natalie is the director. It was interesting to see some of my art students in a different setting. I got emotional watching them sing and awkwardly dance to "I'm a Believer". It was so...raw? It was just honest, pure tween awkwardness and I felt so much love for these kids. I also felt old. I'm not the one up on stage anymore, I'm no longer the student. It's a scary and comforting thought.
I get caught up in jr. high sometimes, and I start acting like I'm one of the students (Ex: I get caught up in the power struggle, rather than taking control of the classroom. I get emotionally involved). That's when I get in trouble- when I loose my sense of purpose in the classroom. Tonight I felt so proud of the students. I remembered my focus and purpose in the classroom: To recognize and encourage student potential. To be a teacher that provides structured and spontaneous interactions with art.
No comments:
Post a Comment